Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Venue Revisited

Back in March, I wrote a brief blogbit on the pleasure of writing while sitting at my dining room table, watching the sun rise over the pasture and enjoying Nature in all her glory. This morning I got another one of those rare treats you can only get in such a situation: the buckthorn tree outside my west window is full of noisy, squabbling robins, gorging themselves on black buckthorn berries in preparation for the long flight south.

Did I mention that the berries have started to ferment?

And now my writing is being punctuated by the occasional soggy thump of a drunken robin trying to fly through the window. None have managed to kill themselves yet, but it's only a matter of time as they keep getting up, shaking it off, then flying back up into the tree to pig out on more berries.

Nature in all her staggering drunk frat house kegger glory, indeed.