Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why I Love the Internet

Because when you're tired of the humdrum and mundane, you can always find something like this:
India tail earns consolation win
SEVENTH ONE-DAY INTERNATIONAL, Mumbai:
India 195-8 (46 ovs) bt Australia 193 (41.3 ovs) by 2 wkts

India edged a fluctuating final one-day international by two wickets in Mumbai, as the series ended 4-2 to Australia...
Now, I know that this article is nominally written in English. And I also happen to know that a co-worker of mine was born in Mumbai and was a champion cricketeer as a young man, and if I really wanted to understand all this he'd be happy to explain it to me in more detail than I could possibly handle. Still, I think I'd prefer to let my imagination wander, as I read through paragraphs like this:
Murali Kartik took 6-27, the best ODI return by a left-arm spinner and three Australia batsmen fell first ball.

Ricky Ponting hit a 63rd one-day fifty as his team mustered 193 all out, but India were soon 8-2 inside four overs.

Robin Uthappa gave them hope with two sixes in a fluent 47, and an unbroken 52 stand between Zaheer Khan and Kartik led them home with four overs to spare.

Zaheer had earlier struck with the first delivery of the match, pitching one on middle stump and moving it in to trap Michael Clarke lbw bang in front.

Umpire Aleem Dar, at the start of his 100th one-day international, had no hesitation in sending Clarke to the pavilion for his second successive golden duck.
Ah, being sent to the pavilion for a golden duck. What wonderful possibilities those words conjure up.

Who needs quidditch when you've got cricket?