Friday, October 17, 2008

The Friday Challenge - 10/17/08

This wasn't what I'd originally planned for this week, but it was just too good an idea to pass up. Jamsco writes:
I have been looking for a story challenge into which I could sink my teeth, but I have been too busy or not knowledgeable enough about the subject matters to enter in.

But I have a suggestion for a challenge: Vox Day Fan Fiction.

Over at Vox Popoli a couple weeks ago, Commenter MouseyTung asked Vox the following question:
“Do you have any interest in allowing other writers to write in the setting if they can do it right or perhaps writing about a protestant movement?”
And Vox responded:
“I don't mind that sort of thing, so long as it's properly credited. I've never known anyone to write any fan-fic before, to be honest. But the basic notion doesn't bother me”
This is nothing short of significant evidence that he would love this idea. And by the way, in response to Vox’s comment, regular commenter Crom stated:
“Fan-fic eh? We are about to see a storm of Amorrian wereseal stories the likes of which even God has never seen.”
My first thought about it – Oh, He has seen it. More than He* would like**.

My second thought is that this is not so great a prediction - So far, nothing!

My third thought is that if you ever wanted proof that more than one person might respond to this challenge – there it is. Although it may be only one or two more than one. Okay, maybe it would be just me, but then everyone's a winner.

I request this because I have a story (based in Wrath) already in mind. My goal would be to make you laugh. What do you think?

Sincerely,
Jamsco

* I’m talking about God, here, Not Vox. I’m guessing no amount of Amorrian wereseal fiction is too much for Vox.

** And I’m talking about God’s Prescriptive Will here, not his Perfect Will, obviously.
What do I think? I think it's a great idea! Not only that, I've discussed this with Vox, and he (lower case 'h') has given it his blessing. Ergo, this week's Friday Challenge is: write a short story or pastiche set in one of the worlds of, and using the almost but not quite inimitable style of, the one and only Vox Day!

If you need more background information, you can pop over to Vox Popoli, scroll down a bit, and in the right column find links to downloadable versions of all of his books. The Amorrian world Jamsco mentions is the backdrop for Vox's latest novel, Summa Elvetica, but you'll find forerunners for that novel in The Altar of Hate and Other Stories. (If you can't read .pdb files, you'll find html versions of most of these stories on the otherwise moribund Eternal Warriors web site.) As always, we're playing by the rather lax rules of the Friday Challenge and playing for whatever is behind Door #2, unless I happen to think of a more fitting grand prize between now and next Friday.

And thus, with far more background information than I've ever provided before, we now declare this Friday Challenge issued. Have fun!