Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Friday Challenge: Reminder and Update

First, a reminder that the deadline for the 11/7/08 Friday Challenge is midnight Central time, tonight.

Second, the promised post-mortem on "Mark Dreizig" will have to wait until tonight. The Kid missed his schoolbus, so all other plans for this morning are disrupted. No, he assures me, there is absolutely no connection between his missing the bus and the fact that it is snizzling, or slizzling, or whatever it is that you call that nasty combination of snow, drizzle, sleet, and wind that's going on outside right now. Yeah. Right.

Third, it occurs to me that I never announced a winner for the 10/31/08 Friday Challenge. The Kid and I were on a road trip last weekend and wound up coming home much later than planned Sunday night, so I had some vague idea of doing another buffer flush sometime this week to get all caught up on Friday Challenge stuff, but that never happened, and now we're rapidly running out of week. Ergo—

Henry: a nice piece of work, as usual, and probably the closest to what I had in mind, but when seen from a distance, it's strangely... conventional. Very 1950s; like something Rod Serling or Richard Matheson would have written. So in a sense thanks for pointing out a major flaw in my concept, and I'll have to work on that, but not a winner this week.

Rigel: a superb mood piece, beautifully written, and it definitely brings up an idea that never even started to occur to me. But you did snowdog it in quite late, and sooner or later I'm going to have to make an example of someone, so I may as well do it now. This would have been the winner, had it been submitted on time.

Which leaves us with Vidad: wonderful, daft, zany; I wish I had just a portion of your imagination. Not the whole thing, of course; that would be too much for any sane person to handle. And don't feel bad as per the previous paragraph: I wanted to pick yours as the winner from right about the time you introduced the 1947 Ford Skyhawk, I just needed to find an excuse not to pick Rigel's entry.

So Vidad, you're our winner this time. Come on down and claim your prize! Now, as for next week's Friday Challenge—

Wait. It's only Thursday. So this must be Belgium.

Later,
~brb