Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Friday Challenge - 5/9/08

Update Sunday 5/18/08: And the winner is Sean. WaterBoy, you impressed me by coming up with an actual well-developed serious plot from what I thought was just a silly little idea, and Snowdog, your entry both made me laugh and fit the format best, so it was not an easy decision, but in the end I had to go with Sean's entry, because that level of demented creativity is not to be denied. Ergo, Sean, come on down and claim your prize.

With that out of the way, don't forget this week's Friday Challenge, in which Ben-El already has a strong head start, and remember that the Friday Challenge rules discussion is still ongoing. For example, awhile back I added an unwritten qualification I guess I call the Vidad Rule. I don't judge this thing the same way I would judge submissions if I was editing a magazine. I try to spread the encouragement around; nothing is more frustrating for everyone else than a competition the same three people win every time. In particular, I try to avoid picking the same winner two weeks in a row, and I save my harshest judgment for those already doing professional-grade work.

Is this fair? Should I be doing this; running the contest more like a teacher than an editor? Or should the Friday Challenge be a true unweighted meritocracy? If so, then remember the old saying: "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it."




Update Friday 5/16/08: No entries by mail this week, so here's what we've got. Personally I think Sean's got it locked, but what do you think?

Snowdog
Sean
WaterBoy

Kind thoughts going out in the meantime to Henry, who got whacked by the middle-week of the middle-month of the 2nd quarter phenomenon this week. Personally I'm a tad nervous myself, as the week isn't over yet, but send your good thoughts to Henry.

I'm also going to take this opportunity here to plug the Friday Challenge rules discussion; if you have any more thoughts to add on that topic, I'd like to hear 'em.

And with that thought, I have to get dashing out the door. The Kid missed his schoolbus this morning and needs a ride. Funny how that always happens when I've a Triumph rolled out and sitting in the driveway.

Must dash,
~brb


Tuesday, February 17, 2009: It was a day that dawned like any other. But then, with the dawn, came the dawning horror. At first by ones and twos, and then by the hundreds and thousands, people began pouring into the streets. Screaming, terrified, desperate and hopeless people — frightened beyond their ability to comprehend — burning with a nameless, mindless, insatiable hunger and begging for someone to save them from —

The Day The Televisions Died



That's the challenge this week. At least three paragraphs; beginning, middle, end. Let's see your best high-concept pitch for an action/adventure/disaster movie based on (dun dun daaaaaa!) the day U.S. analog TV broadcasting stops.

Hey, I figure if Y2K was good for an epic TV miniseries, this is worth at least a made-for-cable movie. But if we can get Will Smith on board...


As always, we're playing by the ever-evolving rules of the Friday Challenge and playing for what's behind Door #2. The deadline for entries this time is midnight, Thursday, May 15. You can enter either by posting your entry in the Comments thread here, posting on your own web or blog site and putting a link in the Comments thread here, or sending me a .txt or .rtf file, which I will convert to .pdf and repost. Links to all entries will be published on Friday, May 16, with the winner to be announced on Sunday, May 18. As always, you are encouraged to comment on the entries and vote for your favorites, and even if you don't enter, you're still encouraged to comment and vote. And with all that said:

Tuesday, February 17, 2009: The Clock to Armageddon is TICKING!