Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day



Prescript: As I went spelunking through my archives trying to find a certain image to accompany this post, I stumbled across this old post, which, considering that today is the Fourth of July, is perhaps worth re-reading:

The Ball-Turret Gunner's Story




Good grief, Friday already. It's been a week to...

Some weeks are filled with happy, memorable events. Some weeks are squandered on the usual day-to-day working drudgery. Some weeks come complete with soundtracks, and this past week even had a theme song that I kept hearing over and over in my head as the hours crawled by: that great old Warren Zevon tune, "Lawyers, Guns, and Money."

This was supposed to be the week I got my two-years-out-of-date website back to acceptable condition. This was supposed to be the week I sorted out the rest of Rampant Loon's summer and fall schedule and got that project back on track, since the person doing what was supposed to be our premiere July release (pushed back from being our premiere March release) flaked out again. This was supposed to be the week I finished up that series of posts on Heroism, and this was supposed to be the week I finally got the Curse of the Were-Weasel site fully up and operational. Well, at least I stuck with a Warren Zevon theme.

As I think I may have mentioned, I had a rash of bizarre technical problems that kept me offline last Sunday and most of Monday. About the time I finally got that all sussed out and seemingly solved, we got the One Phone Call from someone in the Inmost Inner Circle, and that pretty much threw everything else into the blender and set it to "chew into tiny chaotic bits" for the rest of the week. It's been years since I've been involved in a mess like this. I'd forgotten how consuming and exhausting it can be.

So anyway, here I am: back, more or less, with a hell of a lot of catching-up to do. I've got to announce the results of the 6/20 Friday Challenge, post the entries in the 6/27 Friday Challenge, read and respond to a week's worth of comments, flush through a backlog of email and posts and clear a whole lot of other work out of the queue...

In the meantime, have a safe and happy Independence Day, and remember: always count your fingers and eyes both before and after you light off the fireworks, and make sure you end up with the same number you began with.



Have a great 4th!