Friday, November 16, 2007

I'm Not on Strike, But...

There's one piece of one-size-fits-all advice that I keep on giving out. Whenever would-be writers complain to me that they just can't find the time to write, I say, "Turn off the television." Whenever my kids complain to me that school's too hard and they can't find the time to do all their homework and required reading, I say, "Turn off the television." When even non-writers complain to me that their lives are just too complicated and they can never seem to find the hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done, I say, "TURN OFF YOUR FARGIN' TELEVISION!"

It's amazing how much you can get done, once you stop devoting three hours every evening to sitting on your duff in front of your television, basking in its warm, mindless, banal glow.

This is my one great hope for this writer's strike: that it will drag on, and that Hollywood will shut down, and that, forced to choose between old reruns and moronic Fox reality shows, people by the millions will feel themselves compelled to go cold-turkey and turn off their televisions. This won't be good for screenwriters' incomes, of course, but considered purely in terms of service to humanity...

Ironically, I find myself in a similar situation right now. Having gone cold-turkey for a week and dropped out of my so-called life online, I am finding it very difficult to get back into it. I've had ideas for blogbits this week, and had a number of larger pieces I really wanted to work on and post two weeks ago, but now —

Meh.

I mean, consider this: here it is, Friday, and I don't even have an idea for a Friday Challenge. (WaterBoy won the last one, by the way.) So I guess that's this week's Friday Challenge: anybody got a good idea for a Friday Challenge?

Later,
~brb